How The Boston Strangler’s Identity Was Finally Confirmed 50 Years After His Reign Of Terror Ended

Albert DeSalvo confessed to the serial killing of 13 women, but he never faced justice for the brutal slayings.

April 21, 2023

Associated Press

By: Aaron Rasmussen

A serial rapist and killer who became known as the Boston Strangler terrorized women throughout the Massachusetts city between 1962 and 1964. While Albert DeSalvo was suspected of murdering the 13 victims, it would take nearly a half century and improved DNA technology to prove he was the likely culprit.

In 1965, DeSalvo confessed he was responsible for the serial slayings to convicted killer George Nassar. According to reports, the men were both at Bridgewater State Hospital for mental health evaluations. At the time, DeSalvo was accused of unrelated crimes, including armed robbery and assault as well as multiple sex offenses.

“He began describing a crime and watching my reaction to see if it was too abhorrent to listen to,” Nassar told The Boston Globe in a 1995 interview. “Some of it was horrible, particularly the crimes of stabbing a woman under her breasts in Cambridge. But I wasn’t there to condemn.”

Nassar connected DeSalvo with his attorney, F. Lee Bailey. DeSalvo again admitted to the lawyer, psychiatrists and investigators that he was responsible for the killings attributed to the Boston Strangler.

Though DeSalvo was then considered one of already multiple suspects in the case, he later retracted the confessions and he was never formally charged. The reasons for why remain unclear, according to The New York Times.

In 1967, three years after the last murder attributed to the Boston Strangler, DeSalvo was sentenced to life behind bars in connection with the robbery, assault and sex crime charges he had been facing when he first met Nassar.

DeSalvo was fatally stabbed in 1973 by an unidentified assailant while in a hospital bed at Walpole State Prison, now known as the Massachusetts Correctional Institution-Cedar Junction.

Though long one of the prime suspects in the Boston Strangler cases, it wasn’t until July 2013 that investigators were able to finally definitively connect DeSalvo to forensic evidence preserved from seminal fluid found on a blanket covering the last known victim, 19-year-old Mary Sullivan.

Sullivan had been raped and then strangled with her stocking inside her apartment in Boston’s Beacon Hill neighborhood. Investigators matched DNA from the crime scene to DeSalvo’s exhumed remains, The New York Times reported.

"This is really a story of relentlessness,'' Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis explained at the time, ABC News reported. Investigators, he added, were “99.9 percent” certain they had the right man.

“This is good evidence. This is strong evidence. This is reliable evidence,” Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley noted, according to the station.

Nassar was also for a time a suspect in the Boston Strangler cases after multiple women who escaped from the Boston Strangler identified him as their attacker, but he always denied he had anything to do with the crimes.

“If I had been, theoretically, on a score with Al and we were in a criminal conspiracy together, and I found out that he was murdering women and getting away with it, I’d have given him a quick and painless death, right there,” he once told WBZ.

Nassar reportedly died from prostate cancer on Dec. 3, 2018, at the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital Correctional Unit in Massachusetts.

Next Up

Man Arrested After Tech CEO Found Murdered In Her Baltimore Apartment

Pava LaPere, a rising tech star in her twenties, was murdered in her Baltimore home. After a few days on the run, Jason Dean Billingsley, 32, was arrested and charged with her murder.

DNA From Under Victim’s Fingernails Leads To Arrest Of Las Vegas Murderer After 42 Years

The case of who murdered 25-year-old Sandra DiFelice went cold for over four decades until her daughter urged police to take another look at the case in 2021.

'Zombie Hunter' Sentenced To Death For Murdering Two Women In The 1990s

A man who referred to himself as the ‘Zombie Hunter’ has been sentenced to death for the separate murders of two young women in the 1990s.

Midwestern Civil War Buff May Be Serial Killer Connected To Dozens Of Females’ Deaths

Larry DeWayne Hall was identified as a suspect in a kidnapping after a witness took down his van’s license plate number.

An Escaped Inmate Had One Target As He Raced Across Prison Grounds

A Tennessee corrections officer was murdered in her home after an inmate trustee escaped the West Tennessee State Penitentiary.

The Internet's First Serial Killer: John Edward Robinson, The 'Internet Slavemaster'

John Edward Robinson was sentenced to death for his reign of terror in Kansas City in the mid-'80s.

DNA Helps Solve The 1984 Cold Case Murder Of Donna Macho

New Jersey teen Donna Macho was brutally attacked and murdered in 1984, and after nearly three decades, her killer was positively identified.

After 37 Years, The Cold Case Murder Of Florida Nurse Teresa Lee Scalf Is Finally Solved

After nearly four decades, blood found at the 1986 murder scene has helped investigators positively identify Teresa Lee Scalf's killer.

Amish Teenager In Pennsylvania Found Dead After Abduction Caught On Surveillance Video

“I robbed the family of time and memories,” the killer told Linda Stoltzfoos’ loved ones at his sentencing.

A Massachusetts College Student’s 1986 Cold Case Murder Was Finally Solved 36 Years Later

20-year-old Claire Gravel spent the night of June 29, 1986 with friends at a pub. After she was dropped off at her Salem apartment early the next morning, she was never seen alive again.